Watching a pizza advertisement can be tempting especially when a mouth-watering cheese pull with delicious toppings is on display. Pizzas are one of the most ordered foods online. Its base is often made from all-purpose flour or refined flour, which is convenient but not nutritive. In addition, it may lead to poor gut health and weight gain as it is high in calories. Swapping the dough with a healthy jowar base can help one enjoy pizzas guilt-free while reaping health benefits.
Manasi Jangam, dietician at Fitaholic, Zirakpur, Punjab, says, “Jowar is loaded with fibre, protein, vitamins, and minerals. This cereal is rich in vitamins like thiamine, niacin and riboflavin. Its mineral composition includes potassium, sodium, iron, calcium and phosphorus.”
All these nutrients combine to give us various health benefits. Another Fitaholic dietician, Ekta Thesia says that the fibre-rich millet can help in maintaining gut health. She adds that this gluten-free grain is a good source of energy, which makes it a perfect snack for children in the evening.
Here is a recipe that includes delicious and healthy toppings like paneer, corn kernels, baby corn and vegetables that further add to the nutritive value of our healthy pizza. Savour it and let us know how it turned out in the comments section below.
1 cup jowar flour (125g)
1 glass of lukewarm water
½ capsicum (70g)
1/4th cup of baby corn, chopped (35g)
1 tomato (123g)
½ carrot, grated (84g)
½ onion (75g)
1/4th cup boiled corn kernels (41g)
Paneer – 50g
1 teaspoon oil (5g)
½ cup cheddar cheese (60g)
Servings – 3 (medium pizza)
Preparing the vegetable toppings:
- Chop the vegetables. Heat a pan and add a teaspoon of oil. Then add onion, green capsicum, baby corn and grated carrot to it. Add salt to the vegetables and sauté for 10 minutes.
For the pizza base
- Add a cup of jowar flour, salt to taste, and lukewarm water to a bowl and knead until the dough is soft
- Take a medium-sized ball of dough and knead it for 5 minutes. This will prevent the base from crumbling down. Spread the ball of dough evenly with your palm into a thick base.
- Cover it with a lid and cook the pizza base on each side until it gets slightly brown and is well cooked on both sides.
Making the pizza
- Spread pizza sauce/tomato sauce on the pizza base. Add the sautéed vegetables, paneer, tomato, and boiled corn kernels.
- Add cheese on top and cook the pizza till the cheese melts.
- Sprinkle oregano seasoning and chilli flakes and serve hot.
- Calorie: 954.17 Kcal
- Carbohydrate: 129.94g
- Protein: 40.6g
- Fat: 37.253g
- Fibre: 5.32g
- Potassium: 1152.43mg
- Sodium: 581.75mg
- Iron: 2.02mg
(Input by in-house nutritionist Shohini Basu)